Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Christmas Macabre

Yesterday, after Larry took the package full of holiday treats and handknit items for the relatives up north and mailed it on his way to work, I sat in my house and congratulated myself on my unwonted holiday-gifts efficiency. And then?

I found the hat.

You know, the missing hat that I decided didn't exist and we didn't need because I was too tired to sit up all night and knit another one. Instead, I threw a hat in the box that Susie actually wanted and promised myself I'd find more of that yarn and knit another one for her before Christmas. Because I'm delusional that way.

So I was sitting there, with a hat Susie definitely didn't want, feeling way less efficient than earlier. I ended up mailing it today, and later I'm going to the yarn store and finding that darn yarn. So that's only 2 extra errands and one extra knitting project, all due to the fact that I can't see something sitting RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF ME where the rest of the hats were.

Not really feeling the merry today, I guess....and it doesn't help that my wrapping paper seems possessed. You see, like the rest of America, we're trying to get ready for holidays here, so I was wrapping presents last night. But I ran into a small problem:

Decapitated snowmen - festive!


The back side's no better - what were the odds?

Yeah, I'm thinking this would be good for a Christmas version of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," maybe. Or a new version of "A Christmas Carol," with headless snowmen instead of ghosts.

But definitely not good for that festive look under the Christmas tree, that's for sure...


10 comments:

  1. Beth (A Mom's Life)December 19, 2017

    I found that a giant bow covers a multitude of wrapping sins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the decapitated snowman present is for Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what else covers wrapping sins other than bows? Plain white paper. That's what the majority of my gifts are wrapped in this year - although, for some reason the plain white paper is harder to work with much to my consternation and, apparently, is semi-see through - so that's the down side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is me - but with brown craft paper. Less see through, just as neutral. Not very festive I I guess, but with a good bow it makes it for me.

      Delete
  4. Well I am sorry. That's how most of my Christmas prep goes too. I will spare you details, but it involves dead brine shrimp this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those decapitated snowmen is why I only purchase simple prints. Of course, I haven't wrapped anything yet and I have a colonoscopy in the morning, work the rest of the week and family descending upon us by Saturday.
    I usually find the missing gifts in August.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL on the wrapping paper! I have more stuff I want to make but it's just not going to happen. I should have cut off orders for other people a week earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is why I shop at Von Maur. They wrap for free. And it looks amazing! You do always crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd have made the same fix as you--it's our OCD tendencies. Shame about the hat, but BRAVA for getting the gifts in the mail on time. I got mine out in the nick of time too this year, and feel like a ROCK STAR.

    ReplyDelete