Friday, July 21, 2017

Gratitude Is Exhausting

I have no idea what I've been doing all week, aside from complaining about the heat. You should be grateful I spared you all that, actually. Or maybe not - this heat wave ain't over.

So I've spent the week being thankful for whoever invented air conditioning. You know, I've been hearing people say how they are starting gratitude journals - they write down one thing each day that they are grateful for. If I had done that this week, the journal would have read: Monday - AC; Tuesday - AC; Wednesday - AC; Thursday - OMG, AC; Friday - GOD BLESS THE AC.

You get the idea.

But I don't get how come people are saying this gratitude practice changes their lives. For some reason, I do this nonstop in my head anyway, ALL THE TIME, and it's not like I'm Mother Teresa or anything. I mean, I glance at a newspaper headline about Syria, and I'm all, "Thank goodness we don't live in a war-torn country." Or I take my daughter to the orthodontist and I think, "Thank goodness we have the money for this." Or I drive somewhere and I think, "Thank goodness, I wasn't maimed or killed on the road."

Which, really - is gratitude a positive or a negative? Mine is all, "Whew, this horrible thing didn't happen to me." Or, "Whew, we're not in the poorhouse with crooked teeth." So maybe I'm not doing gratitude right.

Now I'm confused, so let's change the subject. I currently have 7 people living under my roof (thank goodness I have all these kids), because Theo - now officially an Army veteran - returned from his jaunt across Europe this week. So I'm back to assigning laundry days and running the dishwasher twice a day and cooking a whole heck of a lot. (Thank goodness I can afford to feed them.) I cannot believe I spent years working like this, day in and day out. At least I'm not changing any diapers this time around.

In the middle of all that, I managed to get a new eyeglasses prescription and today I ordered new eyeglasses AND prescription sunglasses (thank goodness I don't have to stumble around half-blind). Oh, and I went to the dentist to get my crown installed (thank goodness I can afford dental work, but OMG it is so expensive).

See? It's constant. Tell me you do this, too. Anyone?

Band camp ended today, so there was the concert (thank goodness for earplugs - ha, ha, just kidding), with me sitting there panicking about what the heck we're going to do for the rest of the summer until we leave for the wilds of Acadia again (thank goodness we have a camping trailer even if packing for a camping vacation is going to kill us one of these years). Luckily, a friend invited me and Susie to her in-laws' beach house for a couple of days next week (thank goodness for friends with generous in-laws) to partake in some sand and salt water.

Larger on the inside?
This invite inspired me to order a Sportbrella from Amazon (OMG, thank goodness for Amazon, a thousand times over), because Larry won't be with us to wrestle our 20th-century beach umbrella into the sand deep enough to keep it from being blown away and killing an unsuspecting sunbather. My purchase arrived today and Susie set it up in the living room, for practice. Larry just sat there and shook his head.

"What?" I said. "Don't you like it?"


"That's really big," he said. "Will there be room on the beach?"

"We saw them all over the beach last summer! Don't you remember? We thought they were a great idea!"

Larry had no memory of this.

"Well, I think they look smaller outdoors," I said, in a pathetic bid for reassurance.

"Yeah, maybe," said Larry, but he still looked doubtful (thank goodness for husbands who humor their wives).




[Sun image: Clipartix]
[Sportbrella image: Amazon]


8 comments:

  1. Yes, I practice gratitude the same way you do. That is a pretty nifty umbrella and since Larry won't be there to set it up it's the only way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do gratitude the same way.

    I really like that beach umbrella thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I need to increase my 'thank goodness . . . ' throughout the day. I find myself in more of a panic mode - 'please don't tell me Laddie did such and such again', 'please don't tell me Tank forgot to do such and such', 'please don't tell me NO ONE cleaned up the kitchen AGAIN!'

    I think that umbrella looks like the bomb, but I would be one of those crazy sunbathers trying to avoid shade at all cost. I know, I know, not the healthiest choice, but hey, I am thankful for my dark tan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps this is why I've never been able to keep up with a gratitude journal. I'm more like the last poster, except it's of for heaven's sake this or that.

    The beach and sand sound wonderful. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see you! And yes the is room on the beach for your umbrella.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJuly 24, 2017

    You're doing it right. Gratitude is 100% perspective and yours is that you have it good and appreciate that fact. I think all of us have a bad habit of thinking we don't do it right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel bad that I spend the entire summer in an office (TG for AC lol) and not doing fun summer stuff with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was only 2 days. The rest of the summer I pretty much ignore them.

      Delete