Sunday, February 12, 2017

Chaos Reigns

Today I was racing along, trying to finish the Reyna shawl so I could go on to some other, tastier, scarf I have my eye on. I was making good time and even daring to calculate how much longer I would be shackled to this particular project when I looked down and discovered several live stitches hanging in midair, sans needle.

This is the point in the story where, if you are a knitter, your heart skips a beat.

Turns out that my almost-new size 4 circulars, sensing my elation at nearing the end of my project, decided to shut that right down. Because, really, this project is jinxed. Yesterday, I spent half an hour of what should have been productive knitting time untangling a snarl of yarn barf, and now...now this:

Et tu, Knitter's Pride?


That's right, the cord separated from the needle. Coincidence? I think not. So, yeah, that project is in time out until it decides if it really wants to become an attractive summer shawlette or remain a shapeless ball of yarn. Sometimes, you've just got to show these projects who's the alpha dog, you know?

I think approximately 4 of my 100 or so readers cares about any of this. To the rest of you, my apologies.

But I haven't just been knitting. Here's the other new and exciting activity in my life:

It's like a Magic Eraser for your face, I guess

That's right, exfoliating. I just found out I'm supposed to be applying this thing to my face (Hildie at Hive and Nest told me); so I am using it every other day and waiting expectantly for my youthful complexion to return. Maybe I will even get to a point where I can take a selfie without being absolutely horrified at the result. That would be nice, right?

Progress, of a sort...in this corner, anyway...

Larry is downstairs making loud power tool sounds in the basement. Our handyman showed up this morning, praise the Lord, and helped him arrange the puzzle pieces of plywood onto the floor (on top of the insulation), so we're making some progress down there. I mean, everything is still a mess, but Larry tells me there's been progress, so I will have to believe him. We've gone too far to turn back now, that's for sure.

But first? It will get worse. "As soon as I get all this plywood down, I'm going to pull everything out of the laundry room," said my spouse formerly known as Beloved, "so I can insulate that entire front wall at once." His eyes shone with satisfaction at finally being able to accomplish this quixotic goal of his. I could tell what he was thinking: They said it couldn't be done.

I'm telling you, the man is insane.











8 comments:

  1. I know I said I was going to email you right away but hey, it has only been a week! And look you found money! Are you gonna share? HEHEHE. Really opening email right after I push publish. Oh and you Have had an entertaining week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand that man at all. But then....there aren't many out there I DO understand. Talk about knitting all you like. It relaxes me. I don't knit, but it calms me right down anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly fear for the newest project your husband has up his sleeve...you KNOW there's another one coming, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gasped in horror at your knitting tale of woe. I hate it when that happens. Though I seem to have a gift for breaking the needle itself, rather than separating the needle from the cable....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and your link talks at length about how exfoliating makes your makeup look better. I save tons of money by neither exfoliating, nor wearing makeup. So much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gah! I didn't know a knitting needle could betray someone like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Normally your knitting posts make me wish I could knit, but this one reminds me why I don't even try anymore.
    Have you considered that the makers of that cloth did not promise what years of youth your skin may return to? I'm still fighting acne but it was a lot worse in my younger years. (Yours was probably not so bad, though, so carry on!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a little behind in my reading, but I'm proud to say I'm all caught up. I don't knit, but I was delighted when you admitted to putting your project in a timeout. I do sew and I create family home movies to DVDs . . . so needless to say I stumble across my fair share of frustration. My kids cringe every time I say I am going to try to burn a project to a DVD. They wince while they wait for my loud cussing to commence.

    ReplyDelete