Friday, March 18, 2016

Seeing The Light

So, I seem to have Rachel's awful bug. Luckily, it hit me on an empty stomach. But how unfair is it that I should get sick and not Larry? I mean, it WAS Larry who was the holder of the towel during her barfing all-nighter. Yet here I lie, starving and miserable. I am tempted to breathe on his pillow.

Very difficult to operate, apparently
So, after dropping the girls off at their activity this morning, I drove home and went to bed. I've gotten up a few times today, wandered downstairs, turned out lights, closed doors, and then gone back to bed, exhausted. Because, really, as the parent of children who are all aged 10 and up, that is mostly what I do now - turn out lights and close doors: closet doors, pantry doors, cabinet doors. Constantly. And I am too burned out to harangue the kids to do it.

Did I say "burned out"? I meant, cynical - I am too cynical. You see, I know it's useless. They don't hear me. They don't understand me. I remember, as a teen, hearing my dad ranting, "The house is lit up like a Christmas tree!" and wondering what the heck his problem was.

The other thing I do is order pizza. The kids like that. I don't know why, because I only order the $8 carry-out special from Vocelli's, which is not very good, so far as pizza goes. But, every time, the kids act as though Christmas has arrived early. They run around, setting the table, mixing up some garlic-butter thing to dip their crusts in, and generally acting as though this event is cause for jubilation.

I guess they don't like my cooking.

Oh, dear, I sipped some flat Coke and my stomach is not happy. Not at all. Bright side is that I've used maybe 2 Weight Watchers points today. 2! Who needs a gym membership? I mean, what with the food deprivation and all the exercise I get turning out lights and closing doors, I'll be svelte in no time at all.





9 comments:

  1. Why did I not think about making my own garlic butter thing? Genius. It was the only thing I liked about Domino's pizza. Will have to start a new trend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it was David who came up with the idea. Now that he is off to college, Susie has taken on the job.

      Delete
  2. Yes. Turning off lights and closing doors (what IS IT with teens and doors?!) was all I did during their teen years. It was not until my oldest rented her own apartment and had to pay her own electric bill that she learned to turn off lights.

    I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once upon a time, people worried about "wasting electricity." Now, it doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar. What I hate is when my kids leave their chargers plugged into the wall with nothing charging on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, it's not the cost of the electricity, but having to replace the bulbs. When half the bulbs burn out, there's still enough light to find my way around, but it looks like I'm not doing a good job keeping the house running. I've thought about changing all the light switches to timers...
    And I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I've been to a few funerals in the last few years for the generation older than us -- and it is scary to look at our contemporaries who are in attendance and what shape they are in -- but to lose a contemporary might knock me off the rails. Courage (as Dan Rather used to say).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Light bulb purchasing decisions have become the bane of my existence. That's why I had to outsource the job to Larry.

      Delete
  5. Feel better soon! And now that my kids are 11 and 13, all I do is drive them places and put away their laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do hope you are feeling better now. Life can be so unfair!

    ReplyDelete