Thursday, June 18, 2015

Shopping For America

Yesterday? I spent incapacitated.  Some sort of nerve thing-y between my neck and my shoulder got pinched and OMG it was painful.  I spent the entire day popping Motrin and whining.  FUN.

At some point in there, I managed to drag myself and the 3 youngest kids to Modell's to pick up all manner of things they suddenly needed.  We staggered out of there one hour and $175 later (and that was with the 20% off coupon, people), loaded down with swim trunks and T-shirts AND swim goggles for Brian, 5 pairs of black shorts and a pair of regular shorts AND 2 athletic bras for Rachel, plus a pair of fun shorts that Susie scored, just for being there. I can only assume that, prior to yesterday, these kids were all walking around naked.

Behind every cadet is an expert shopper...

Can I just stop and say a word here about camp packing lists?  I swear, I have spent the last week going to the store EVERY SINGLE DAY to pick up items for Rachel's list. And because her camp is not an ordinary one (it's Civil Air Patrol Encampment, a sort of basic training for CAP cadets), it's been a scavenger hunt of sorts for hard-to-find items.  Try - just try - finding plain black shorts for a girl, boot socks, gel inserts for boots and shoes, plus any manner of toiletries and the right amount of underwear, in just one place.  TRY.  I sure did, and I failed massively. As a result, this week we have been to Target (3 times), to Modell's, and to a plethora of stores at the mall.

We're still looking for those boot socks, you know.

My point being that, with all these expenditures, I have singlehandedly raised our national GDP.  I don't want anyone giving Jeb! the credit for it.  I DID IT.  ALL BY MYSELF.

You're welcome.






[Encampment image: New York Wing Encampment]

8 comments:

  1. What are boot socks? The long socks we wore with combat boots in the army?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you looked at Gander mountain un winchester?

      Delete
    2. Have you looked at Gander mountain un winchester?

      Delete
  2. What are boot socks? The long socks we wore with combat boots in the army?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can call yourself The Department of Procurement. I suggest you charge a fee, in the form of extra chores, for procuring campish items. But then, maybe it's good enough if they didn't complain while shopping.

    I will be doing camp shopping in two weeks, but just for one kid, and not for something as intense as Civil Air Patrol camp. I am expecting major complaining about this shopping that is not even for me.

    Boot socks - try an outdoor store like LL Bean or REI. Or Gander Mountain that has already been suggested. Have the kid call the store first to ask if they have boot socks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 19, 2015

    I'm betting that sport socks would work. I buy a lot at Shoe Carnival. And last week when I bought 2 pairs, I got my second pair of shoes half off. SCORE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe an Army Navy store would be helpful in finding the socks?

    ReplyDelete