Monday, June 20, 2011

Usurped

Anna's high school graduation is tomorrow, and the mother in me rejoices at this milestone marking the end of childhood dependence and the beginning of Anna's making her own way in this big, wonderful world of ours.

The person part of me, however? The non-mother part?  Is sulking.  How DARE the school system schedule the graduation on - hello? - MY BIRTHDAY?!  Gone is my delicious custom of having the WHOLE, ENTIRE day to myself.  That's all I ask for my birthday every year, and that's what I get.  I look forward to the occasion with an almost unreasonable glee.

Do you realize how many times a day a mother needs to issue orders to people?  Do you have any idea how sick I am of the sound of my own voice?  Do you understand that a day to myself means that I do not have to tell anyone what to do?   I NEED MY BIRTHDAY.

"We'll just work it around the graduation," suggested Larry.

Work it around the graduation?  Squeeze it in?  I don't think so.  No.

"All right, then," counseled my patient husband.  "Let's just make your birthday a different day."

Sulk.

It won't be the same.  I LOVE my birthday - the longest day of the year, the first day of summer...why don't those silly school people make the GRADUATION a different day?  Hmmm?  Whoever heard of a Tuesday graduation, anyway?

Sulk.

All right.  Thursday.  I'll take Thursday.  And I'll pretend all day long tomorrow that it is NOT my birthday.  Because having it on 2 days just dilutes it.  Really.

I'll be turning 48 on Tuesday Thursday - 48 going on 3.  Just in case you were wondering...



[grad cap image credit: Simply The Best Gift Ideas]

[cake image credit: Webweaver's Free Clip Art]

21 comments:

  1. "dilutes it"---said perfectly.

    And happy birthday! (You have two extra days to get even MORE excited!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a decadent day to have your birthday! No worries though, the days around it are almost as long.

    I teach 4th grade, and this past fall I turned 50. Because of a teacher work day, we had our Halloween celebration (THE biggest waste of the school year and my least favorite day) on 10/28--my 50th birthday. Boy was THAT a drag.

    I feel your pain sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you could consider her graduation a birthday gift? I'm trying to find the silver lining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know, I think it's an excuse to celebrate more that one day. A little bit on the actual day (dinner out? No cooking (or dishes) all day?) And then the annual seclusion on Thursday. Perhaps even with a cake for each day (at least a slice of cake for each day, and Wednesday too)

    I look for any excuse to prolong the celebration, personally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJune 20, 2011

    You get your birthday off? No Fair! Stopping feet and grumbling as I move away...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday...the sisters birthday is the day after yours, did you know that? You probably did :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should do what my friend Janis does. Every year and I mean EVERY YEAR she celebrates her birthday for one full week. She gives all her friends a day and we all make plans with her. I was glad when I moved away from NY because honestly? It was hard to see how many GIFTS AND FREE MEALS she got and not be a little envious.

    Also, I hate my birthday. Always have. I should switch to the Janis Plan but so should you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday, and what a concept, a day all your own. My birthday is never my own. And one year, my mother's memorial service was on my husband's birthday--nobody wanted to schedule it too close to my niece's. (Hmm, that probably has you beat there, huh?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday!

    I would probably sulk a little too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you have a lovely birthday and that you will take every advantage of being selfish on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday and Congratulations to Anna, but I would claim Wednesday as all my own! Don't let it get away because you and I both know with family life, it's possible. Again, Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should just start celebrating your "birthday week"
    The people in your life should spend the week surrounding your birthday showering you with gifts and obeying your every whim.

    (spoken by someone who had a birthday last Saturday and spent the entire day at her children's sporting event)

    ReplyDelete
  13. And I think that's totally rude of them not to check with you for approval before scheduling the graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday, both today and when you get around to celebrating it. Enjoy the graduation as much as possible.

    ~Luke

    ReplyDelete
  15. AnonymousJune 21, 2011

    Any chance you can extend it to a birthday WEEK? Or perhaps a MONTH? The YEAR of Mother Divine!
    *sigh*
    I get it. My bday is always interrupted by other people's crap. Totally bums me out, but I feel silly saying anything.
    Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your birthday --I want one of those! I turn 48 this summer too, but not until August. I think a good solution would be to use all the time on Tuesday around the graduation AND Thursday. That seems fair to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. AnonymousJune 21, 2011

    happy birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now I feel terrible that I missed your birthday.
    No, wait! I didn't! Today is Thursday!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

    See, it's good you waited. :)

    Oh, and belated congratulations to Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I totally agree with Jillybean. It's what I've been doing for a few years now. Since I don't get to take the whole day for myself around here, I make a week of it. I can't possibly get all those birthday freebies I signed up for done in one single day anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would be sulking right now, too, if I was you. In fact, I AM sulking. My birthday was the 13th and time with my daughters has been postponed twice. Tomorrow, theoretically, we are celebrating...17 days late.

    ReplyDelete