Sunday, June 21, 2009

Suspense

I was surprised to wake up this morning to a bright sunny day. So surprised that I thought it might deserve a mention on my blog, something along the lines of "Today was notable in that it didn't rain."

[Yes, it's strange - nay, pathetic, even - that I start composing blog posts first thing in the morning, before I even get out of bed. I don't want to talk about it.]

But then it rained. Again. It's been raining a lot. Every single day, actually...

So! We live on a golf course. This morning I saw a bunch (a school? a club? a clutch?) of golfers who were determined to get their Father's Day round of golf in. They were very wet.

Besides being Father's Day, today is also my birthday. (Like how I buried the lead?) Because Larry and Theo had to leave this morning for a week of work camp, Larry skipped work Friday to take us blueberry picking, just like last year; unlike last year, however, no one pooped in her pants while we were thus employed. Progress, folks, we're making progress...

If any of you weren't hanging around here a year ago, you really should check out that link. I used to be more amusing, apparently.

Yesterday we celebrated Father's Day (it's confusing, I know; just try to keep up). I would have insisted on that particular arrangement - even if Larry were here today - just so I wouldn't have to share my birthday with his special day. I can be territorial that way.

Did I ever mention that I have a friend whose husband's birthday is February 14? And that every year she has to hear him grumble about being required to give her a present on his birthday?

Where was I? Do we need a recap? My birthday, two days early, on Friday; Father's Day, one day early, on Saturday - and today? I've been left alone for the week with the 4 youngest kids. That means that - any minute now -

  1. All the light bulbs will need changing (how many short people do you need to change a light bulb? Punch line, anyone? Shellie?)
  2. an as-yet-unnamed appliance will breathe its last
  3. some rodent (or 2 or 3) will take up residence in my home.

But I'm okay with all that, because....

MY DISHWASHER IS BEING FIXED TOMORROW!

Oh, glorious day! It's been a looong time.

20 comments:

  1. If my dishwasher died, I would be waiting at the doors of best buy for a new one the same day!!! OMG!!! I am not washing glasses by hand. THE HORROR!!

    I do not know how your making do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sun just peeked out here. My husband and I practically went through a comedy routine. "What's that glowing orb?" "You mean that strange spherical shiny thing?" "Should we worship it?" And so on.

    Hey, at least we amuse ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and PS--Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 21, 2009

    Happy Birthday! It was so clever of you to be born on the longest day :) Fresh blueberries too. mmmm.... have some for me. In Morocco, we get tons of fresh cheap fruit, but I am an ingrate and I still really really miss blueberries, raspberries and blackberries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're celebrating father's day by letting Mr. Buxom nap as much as he wants, which is apparently three times a day (and counting.)

    Happy Birthday! Clever you, being born on after a long slow build-up towards the longest day! Of course, it's down hill from here. (But who can tell, anyway, with all this rain??)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday!!!
    You got sunshine? I haven't seen the sun in weeks!!!
    oh, and you need 2 short people to change a light bulb. One to stand on the ladder, and one to hold it in place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday!

    Whatcha making with those blueberries?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where do you pick blueberries? I think there isa place between Sperryville and Culpepper, on Rt 211?

    Happy Birthday! For Fathers day, hubby got a new old fashioned reel lawnmower. He was trying to teach our 11 yr old how to mow with the gas mower. Son did not see piece of lumber forgoten on the lawn. Broken mower again. This is the third time in 5 years he has broken one because he insists on mowing the lawn in the evening when it is too dark to see. I'll probably drop off the broken one at the repair shop in a few weeks to get fixed, after the novelty and fun of the reel mower have worn off for my boys. I'm not going to mow with out a self propelled gas mower, as I am lazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We celebrated Father's Day by sending 1/2 the kids away.

    If I had as much rain as you're having I would probably have to do without an oven--I'd be terrified I'd stick my head in it.

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday and congrats on the dishwasher!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So tomorrow is Dishwasher Resurrection Day! Hurray, hurray! We'll put that one on the calendar for next year so we can celebrate your birthday three days early, Father's Day two days early and Dishwasher Day one day early--do you think Palm will come up with a calendar application for my phone so that I can keep up with your calendar math?

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh----I HATE rodents! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you should extend your birthday celebrating by sitting around all day NOT washing dishes.
    You should probably knit something.
    It was my b-day on Thursday. We didn't celebrate because I had so much work to do that I couldn't take a break, so today I told my daughter to make me a cake.
    It tasted good even though it looked funny and she burned her arm getting it out of the oven.

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  14. AnonymousJune 22, 2009

    So since you were celebrating your birthday 2 days early and Father's Day one day early, I am now 3 (or is it 4) days late in wishing you a happy birthday. [insert me singing HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU here] I know it's lame... but at least I am steady in my reputation: I now purchase belated birthday cards in ADVANCE. I'm positive that way.

    And I've stopped believing the weatherman. It's pretty much going to just RAIN. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  15. AnonymousJune 22, 2009

    PS: I'm doing the dishwasher happy dance for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday! And getting your dishwasher fixed is an excellent present. Here's hoping for a few more glimpses of sun.

    We celebrated Father's Day by sending ALL of the children off to camp. It was so QUIET!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday! Hope you had a great one!
    The dishwasher broken with 4 kids is bad. I am so glad you are getting it done for your birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. AnonymousJune 22, 2009

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

    I think you need to be taken away and spoilt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many posts to catch up on...happy birthday, I hope you treated yourself to a birthday dishwasher from Best Buy!! Or you are using that ol' child labor stuff again and making the kids do it!! And yes, the rain, rain, rain...although we have had 2 dry days even though the black clouds throughout the day look ominous and it's still chilly. It's like living in Seattle...Good luck with your week alone/broken appliance/rodent gig.

    ReplyDelete